Monday 7 December 2009

Get This Book and Wonder.....


(NOTE: if the amazon widget isn't showing up click here)

...WHY, WHY, WHY are we not taught this in school?
Canadians are. Canadians are way ahead of the game massage education wise, which I've wondered about a lot. Maybe it's because they've got better beer there or something. Maybe it's because our big political bodies here in the US have been at each others throats so much. Who knows?

Anyway, we're not taught research literacy in our massage schools and we should be. There's a reason for this. When we think about taking on new modalities it's very easy to find all sorts of claims on the internet and in books and magazines which are presented in the form of research. The only problem is I never knew the difference between a Systematic Review and a Quasi-Experimental Study or other types of studies. Turns out this type of information is pretty important. I mean, really important. I'm saying pretty dang amazingly mind-blowingly important.

Educate yourself and then research the research. Quiz your teachers too. There's a good chance they don't know this stuff either. They should. Everyone should.

"FRIENDS, ROMANS, COUNTRYMEN. LEND ME YOUR EARS....!!!"

2 comments:

  1. Link, plz!

    Yup, in Canada I believe massage therapy students have four years of study before they can practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christina - I've heard from 3200 to 4000 hours, depending on what part of Canada.

    I put a link in at the top of the post. I think there are other books out there on it too and I'm reading one at the minute by Glenn Hymel (this dude is uber-interesting - massage therapist and a professor at Loyola - - good writer) that goes into more depth. Basically I've come to the conclusion that I've been brainwashed.
    Yup.

    ReplyDelete